Wednesday, June 3, 2015

JUNE IS LIPEDEMA AWARENESS MONTH - Give Yourself a Challenge

It is what we do, right?  We give ourselves challenges.

Sometimes others give us challenges, but either way accepting and then crushing a challenge feels A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

It doesn't matter if it is a mental or a physical challenge, both, or something entirely different, but the act of working towards a challenge (or goal) and accomplishing it is a sure way to make you feel alive.

I've taken to posting my personal challenges on facebook, I don't know if I'm looking for someone to say I'm nuts and talk me out of it, or to cheer me on in the hope it lifts me up when I think I'm nuts for attempting it; but either way the act of posting it out in the open for all the world to see ensures one thing, I will fight like the dickens to crush that goal. (Thank you Mr. Shakespeare for that wonderful expression, "like the dickens")

Fighting for my fitness has become a lifestyle.  You see Lipedema has a way of making you feel weak, both mentally and physically, and it can also make you feel like a victim. Like there is nothing you can do about your condition, that your body will eventually break down completely and you will be trapped inside of it like a prisoner on death row. That sounds dramatic, but trust me when I say IT IS REAL.

Fighting back in whatever way I can is the only way I have found to take my life back.  I am living with Lipedema, I am not dying from it.

Training on the Ropes Challenge Course at Ndakinna

So here is my challenge for you - spread awareness about Lipedema.  Tell anyone and everyone who will listen, find creative ways to do so - there are some great videos on youtube, created by wonderful people all over the world, like the one below from Sherry Simoes (Lipedema Network Canada).

The more we spread awareness, the more lives we touch, the more we learn, the more we grow and the closer our chances of finding other life changing things we can do for those of us living with Lipedema.

No comments:

Post a Comment