Thursday, November 21, 2019

An Insurance Code For Lipedema?

ICD-11 Insurance code for Lipedema, slowly the world is hearing us, Lipedema is a thing.
I was excited to see the ICD-11 codes were presented at the World Health Assembly in May 2019, then I discovered they are scheduled for adoption by Member States to go into effect on January 1, 2022.

So I did some research on the ICD-10 codes. 

Did you know they were presented in 1990? 

Do you know when they went into effect in the US?  October 1, 2015.

That is not a typo, 25 years later.

I found out the closest current code for what I have, Lipolymphedema (stage 3 Lipedema with secondary Lymphedema), E88.23, while being used in Germany, is not an option here in the US.

The closet code we have here in the US is E88.2, and it went into effect in the US on October 1, 2019.

This link provides more info: www.icd10data.com

No comments:

Post a Comment