Sunday, April 2, 2023

Lipedema Fitness: Mobility Aids

Let’s talk about mobility aids. Not an easy topic I know.

Since menopause, my lipedema symptoms have flared up and my walking has taken a hit. I have not been able to walk around the track during workouts, have limited what I want to do outside of the house, and even getting to and from work has been challenging.

I’m still strong, still doing a lot of my workouts, but walking took the biggest hit. 

I’m not sure if you have ever experienced not being able to walk, but it is soul crushing to watch it slipping away again.

I even contemplated not attending the FDRS Lipedema conference this year, as it would require a plane ride vs a car drive (what we did last year). I didn’t think I could navigate the airport at my current walking ability.

Then I remembered Nancy, a lovely Lipedema friend from last year’s conference, and her amazing upright walker. I had seen many later stages at the conference using mobility aids, and I knew my next step, should we decide to go, was to get that walker Nancy had.

The awesome upright standing walker (or rollator I think they are called when they have wheels) I picked up is the one pictured - next to the grocery cart.

Grocery cart? You might ask yourself, is that a mobility aid? 

It sure is. 

A mobility aid is any device that aids you in being mobile. Walker, cane, walking sticks, crutches, wheelchair, and even a grocery cart.

When I go shopping, having a cart is a must. Not just for carrying the groceries, but because using it keeps my back in better alignment for walking. Which is exactly why when I saw Nancy using her walker in that very upright position, I knew it would be extremely helpful in navigating the airport, and the conference in general, for me.

Emotionally it is not easy to take that step, my walker is still in the box. But today is the day she comes out!

I started thinking beyond this trip and about the places I could start going to again.

I got excited thinking about being able to walk the track again, and my brain started swirling with new ideas… so get ready for some #walkerWODs this spring/summer 💜

Do you use a mobility aid?

5 comments:

  1. I used a rollator with a seat for a cruise last April. But honestly, it wasn’t enough for me. So my next trip, I rented a scooter and wish I had done it on the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a rollator with a seat, but lately have had to rely more on scooters. I’m getting stronger, and less knee pain, the more I exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear about the getting stronger, that is my hope with the walker. Glad the scooters help, thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I use a cane, and have for 10 years. Keeps me upright! My knees can give out without notice. Using mobility devices are what keep us independent… but it is hard mentally to accept using them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a cane that I use at home, a wheelchair that I use for dr's appointments & the movies etc and I use a rollator for walking. It is absolutely soul crushing to start using mobility aides but so freeing!

    ReplyDelete