Saturday, July 14, 2018

Lipedema Fitness WOD in the Park: 7/14 - Agilities & Box Jump MOD

Our Saturday WOD (workout of the day) started with some stretching and our CrossFit style warmup (3 rounds of 10 each: sit-ups, pushups, squats, samson stretch and good mornings, no pull-up options at the park, so I used the fence to get a good pull stretch for 10 seconds on each arm).

The warm up was followed by agilities (high knees, side step, walking lunges, light jog, Carioca, Tapioca, burst starts, rolling start sprints, sprints, long strides, lateral strides, combo strides, etc.). Coach had some small cones set about 20 yards from each other and we went up and back with each movement, sometimes the movement was doubled up and we did the movement up and back twice.

Things I have to be mindful of when exercising with Lipedema:
  • Twisting a knee or ankle, and since there was wet grass (it had recently rained before we arrived at the park), it became necessary to stay very focused. Slow and good form helps to limit injuries.
  • My legs are quite heavy due to Lipedema, which makes any cardio movement a pretty big hit physically. Being mindful of hydration and humidity during the workout, and understanding I might require more recovery post workout are key.
  • Wearing graduated compression is also key for me, I couldn't do any of the workouts I do without compression supporting my legs (gives something for my muscles to work against) and wearing compression helps support the knees and ankles and and keep the lymph fluid from filling up in my lower legs.

After agilities we worked on box jump progressions on the park benches...
My box jump mod, is a step up. It started with a much lower step and over the past couple years I have progressed to a higher step, in this case the park bench. 

I need some work on bringing up the second leg, it is harder because my body is in a compressed position. 

Mad respect for those who can do full box jumps. Great workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment