Saturday, July 25, 2020

Lipedema: Sharing Vulnerability with Your Support Team

Sharing your vulnerability with your Lipedema support team
My family headed to a local lake for canoeing and relaxation this past weekend, and it was glorious.

Before we left I confided in my husband that I wasn’t sure about going. 

I wasn’t sure I would find a place to feel comfortable, because I knew I was not able to get into the canoe due to my legs progressing this past year as I transitioned through menopause, I was unsure of a place on the shore where I would be able to get out of the direct sun, and I knew an extended time period sitting in my folding chair would cause some leg pain as it cuts into the back of thighs.

The heaviness in my legs matched the heaviness in my heart.

It is sometimes hard to share the vulnerable days. Those of us with Lipedema can feel pretty vulnerable from day to day, and even moment to moment.

Sharing when we do can help take the sting out of it. Can help shed some light for your loved ones so they know what might be going on behind the scenes, and voicing it can help lessen the power it can hold over you. 

Rest days are necessary for everyone, and especially so, for those battling a chronic and progressive illness like Lipedema. 

It’s ok to have vulnerable moments, it’s ok to decide there are not enough spoons today and a rest day means a lay down, get some much needed sleep in.

I was grateful I shared with my husband. I was grateful he shared with me his feelings, and grateful I went and could see this beautiful river up close and personal, and watch my daughter paddle with her best friend on an adventure they are sure to remember always. 

Here is to your rest days! May they be healing, reflective, and bring you peace in whatever way you need ♥️

No comments:

Post a Comment