Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Lipedema Fitness: Finding your Flow

 

Flow. Great word, right? 

It has been showing up in my world a lot lately…

As a Lipedema patient Lymph FLOW is a daily thought, how can I make sure I keep my lymph flowing?

It is one of the most important considerations / treatments we do every single day. #movethatlymph 

Lately FLOW has surfaced in my art practice - I’m following daily prompts from the amazing @josielewisart 

The first day was suggested to watch Josie’s #tedtalk - which I did, and learned about the psychological aspects of FLOW, and how it is used in healing.

I’ve always turned to art as a way of emotional healing, so it wasn’t surprising to learn how tapping into creative (or physical) FLOW is therapeutic on many levels.

Have you ever felt so into what you were doing, that the rest of the world faded away? 

For me that happens when making art or writing (even making this graphic, out of artwork I made while in the flow). For others it can happen during a race, playing music, even during work.

The Hungarian-American Psychologist, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, recognized and named the psychological concept of flow - describing it as a complete state of total immersion in an activity, one you enjoy so much, that nothing else matters. 

The rest of the world falls away.

I love the idea of getting so into something that it can bring you that level of joy, a flow that elevates you. 

I have been thinking about how we can get to this place of FLOW on a daily basis, as a way to take a break from our worlds when they get overwhelming. 

Things like deep breathing come to mind, meditation, yoga, all things we do as a way to move our lymph, but what if we had a different intension in mind while we did it? 

I get this with reiki during my daily self care. It is an effortless way for me to focus on the FLOW, and take my mind out of the “work” and more into the feel and healing.

Have you felt that flow before? What were you doing, and how can we get into flow on a daily basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment