Saturday, November 2, 2013

FAITH

SATURDAY IN THE PARK

Today found me back on the track, the same track I recently walked for my second 5K this year.  Walking still proves to be my biggest challenge and I will not lie, seeing the track again brought some anxiety this morning.

The workout involved pushing a prowler (picture a wooden sled on wheels, with 260lbs of weight inside, plus a 100lb kid for good measure) for 100 yards, then rotating to the next person in the group, then the next, etc. – all athletes in my group, and they began not only pushing it, but doing so while running.

I was quickly dropped and feeling a little out of place and unfit, when I remembered the graffiti on the skater ramp (a butterfly that had reminded me of my lippy sisters being on my journey with me back during the 5K).

I was looking forward to seeing my butterfly, but then I saw something new.  Larger than life, expanding across the top of one of the ramps, the word FAITH was spray painted in purple paint.  I reminded myself that I was not alone.

Just then I heard my husband/coach from across the track, “we’re coming to you and then it’s your turn.”  It didn’t take long for them to reach me and then it was indeed my turn.  I lowered myself to the prowler and with my strong body I began pushing, and did so half way around the track.

I finished up and they began rotating their last lap, and I walked proudly for mine.  At the end, when they were recuperating, and as I reached them, I told them I was going for one more lap and I was taking the prowler with me.

One of the guys said he was coming, too, if I didn’t mind his company. I told him I wanted the company, just not any help; I wanted to do it on my own, and I did.  Not just with his, but with my husband and another man in our group walking beside me and cheering me on every step of the way.

TIP OF THE WEEK – Have faith.  You are not alone, and you will get there if you just keep trying.

2 comments:

  1. My husband got me good today we were in Target and he kept speeding up his walking which was odd for him normally he slows down to meet my pace. I was starting to get frustrated because walking is the worst for me it actually hurts worse than anything else but before I realized it I had sped up and was walking as fast as he was.

    This lasted for a good five minutes which was five minutes more than usual when I asked him why he did it later when we got to the car he replied because you aren't broken the world makes you think they are with their looks and their words I just wanted to show you, you need to believe in yourself not them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo! We are not broken, your husband's words will stay with me for a very long time. Thank you.

      Delete