Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The Vagus Nerve: What is it, and why is everyone talking about it?

I don’t know about you, but lately I keep hearing about the VAGUS NERVE. 

So I decided to look more into it, and try to find out what all the hullabaloo is.

Basically the Vagus Nerve is referred to as the body’s superhighway, it brings information to the brain from the organs, and here’s the kicker, and why it is everywhere… more recently they discovered this highway goes in both directions, and the Vagus Nerve can also deliver info from the brain back to the organs, and actually change how they function!

You can stimulate the nerve (scroll down to see 3 free ways) and by doing so reduce stress, ease pain, and it is said even reduce inflammation!

Improving vagal tone is the goal, and doing things like deep belly breathing, singing, chanting, or taking a cold shower (or even splashing cold water on your face) can help.

By taking a few moments to stimulate your vagus nerve, you reduce stressors and if you are like me, one of the key spikes in my Lipedema symptoms is stress, so this all makes perfect sense to me. 

Do you have a favorite way to improve your vagal tone? Yoga, meditation, deep breathing? Laughing and singing are great options, and when I sing out loud I tend to laugh, too! Win win!



No comments:

Post a Comment