Friday, May 13, 2022

IN MAY WE WEAR STRIPES


May is EDS (ehlers-danlos syndrome) awareness month. I have hyper mobile EDS or hEDS. It is a connective tissue disorder that for me = easily dislocated joints. I have to be extra mindful in how I move, especially during training. 

The zebra is the symbol for the Ehlers-Danlos Society. Why? Because in the 1940s a doctor coined the term “if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras” when teaching new students. Meaning don’t look for the rare diagnosis.

Great when teaching, not great when you actually have a rare disease. So I love how they claimed the zebra and wearing your stripes in May to help spread awareness!  I love clever ♥️🦓

hEDS is a common comorbidity of Lipedema, so it is far from rare to a lot of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment