Sunday, June 13, 2021

June is Lipedema Awareness: Pear Shaped

JUNE IS LIPEDEMA AWARENESS MONTH - one of the classic signs of Lipedema, is the Pear Shape (smaller on top, larger on the bottom).

After college I was a size 4 on top, and a 12 on bottom. It seemed like no matter what I did fitness-wise or diet-wise, my top half got smaller and my bottom half stayed the same, or got larger.

Not all pear shapes will have Lipedema, but it is an early indicator. Having an upper body that is multiple sizes smaller than your bottom half, is an indicator.

We want early diagnosis for all those with Lipedema. 

Being diagnosed late stage has been super challenging, it is a chronic and progressive disease, an uphill battle, for the rest of my life.

My wish is for better education for the medical field (currently they get about 15 minutes on the lymphatic system), so they know what to look for, so we can get an earlier diagnosis for all those with Lipedema. 

Spreading awareness is key for this! 

We shouldn’t have to become our own best resource on Lipedema, I shouldn’t know more than my doctors do.

No comments:

Post a Comment