Monday, June 7, 2021

June is Lipedema Awareness: Heavy Legs


JUNE IS LIPEDEMA AWARENESS MONTH and I wanted a way to convey what living with Lipedema feels like, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Most people with Lipedema can look at this picture and immediately know what I’m trying to convey, but those without the experience of walking in our shoes will need the words to go along with the image...

This photo captures the weight of Lipedema, the sloshing you can imagine feeling when trying to walk with heavy, fluid filled legs. June is Lipedema Awareness month, and spreading awareness so others get diagnosed sooner is so important.

It took me so long to get properly diagnosed, not only did I not know until I was already late stage 3 Lipedema, but I also had secondary Lymphedema.

I still cannot find a doctor, in my area, who knows what Lipedema is; and I have been told by a trained therapist that I, “know more than they do, that there really isn’t anything more they could do for me, that I’m not already doing myself.”

This condition is vicious. I stay vigilant with my self care treatments. I stay hopeful. 

I don’t share a lot about how hard it is to live with this chronic, progressive condition, because I try to not focus on the challenges, but this post hopefully gives you some insight, in case you have someone in your family, your friend circle, etc., that you suspect might have Lipedema.

Spread the word! Get those with the condition diagnosed sooner, so they can hopefully stay in earlier stages, and not have their mobility compromised.

Here is a great brochure to print and share...  https://www.lipedema.org/brochure

No comments:

Post a Comment