Sunday, July 21, 2024

What is Heel Drop?

I’ve been doing research into new sneakers, ever since my favorites #brooksrevel made a huge change a couple years ago, and became uncomfortable for me to wear. 

What I liked about them was the lower back (as most sneakers cut into the back of my ankle cuff), the less cushion (too much cushion feels unstable to me), and how much my foot pitches to the side (supination) and forward/backward. The revels were great, very stable, didn’t cut into my ankle and flat enough that I could walk and do squats in them. A great fit.

When they changed, my foot started to feel like it was rolling outward. And I felt unbalanced and my knees took the brunt of it. Not good with knee instability.

In learning more about the way the shoe positions my foot, I read a lot about  #heeldrop 

Heel drop, heel to toe drop, shoe drop, it is all the same - it is the difference in the height of the heel of a shoe vs the height of the forefoot (front) of the shoe. 

It is not about the level of cushion a shoe has (that is called the stack), the drop is more about the angle of the shoe. And by adjusting the drop you can improve your comfort, and possibly prevent injuries and falls. 

Zero drop is like walking barefoot, it is totally flat. Low drop is 1-4mm, mid drop is 4-8mm, and high is >8mm.

The average drop on sneakers is 10mm, and that is because most runners are heel strikers. Their heels come into contact with the ground first. A higher drop helps to shift their body weight to the forefoot.

Higher drop may also help if you have plantar fasciitis, Achilles and calf issues, too. 

A lower drop is good if your forefoot hits the ground first, it helps shift the weight to the heels. Lower drop is also good if you have knee and back pain. 

But remember the force of the movement has to go somewhere, ease in to the movements if you make a change in your heel drop. 

This new shoe, the #hokatransport talked about stability and balance, a shoe for commuters (lots of walking). It has a low back, lower drop, and not super squishy looking. 🤞🏻 

Stay tuned for a review once they come in!

#newseakers #sneakerhead #sneakers #walking #mobility #lipedema #lipoedema #lipolymphedema #lipedemafitness

No comments:

Post a Comment