Sunday, June 12, 2022

Lipedema Awareness: Column-like Legs

JUNE IS LIPEDEMA AWARENESS MONTH - a common term used to describe Lipedema legs is “column-like”. Meaning less definition in the thigh, knee and calf areas so the leg looks like a column.

The shape change of my legs, after the C section of my daughter, was what sealed it for me, I knew that there was something different, something was going on with my body.

I always had larger legs growing up, but after the surgery my lower legs changed shape, became more column-like, and the ankle cuff more pronounced.

In researching this it sounds like it is due to loose connective tissue and inflammation. Lipedema is considered a loose connective tissue disorder.

Reading deeper I found out that connective tissue remodels after hormone changes like puberty, childbirth and menopause, etc. and there is a belief that estrogen plays a major role in that remodeling.

We know Lipedema is primarily a women’s based disorder, and they have said there is a link to estrogen. I think I need to dig deeper into these functions to try to understand what is going on, as my body has changed drastically once again after menopause - which is when there is a huge drop in estrogen production, which some believe also changes the way fat is stored in our bodies. So much to try to understand.

Note: Not every type of Lipedema has column shape legs, types 1 (buttock only), 2 (buttock, hips and thighs), and 4 (arms only), don’t involve the lower legs like types 3 (buttock, hips, thighs, and calves) and 5 (calves only).

No comments:

Post a Comment