Friday, June 10, 2022

Lipedema Awareness: Aqua Fitness

JUNE IS LIPEDEMA AWARENESS MONTH - I have found one of the best things I can do is to be as active as possible, and one of the best ways for me to be active is AQUA FITNESS!

We know aqua fitness provides low impact, resistance-type training, it also improves mobility, range of motion, balance, and agility, and it helps pump our lymphatics!!! 

The water acts like graduated compression (which many of us with Lipedema and Lymphedema must wear) and being in the water (and the natural graduated compression it provides) helps improve our lymphatic and Venus functions (aka it reduces swelling), and personally it is amazing for my mental health, too!

It is my happy place! AND My favorite part of the Lipedema Triathlon!

I was always curious about how the water compression compared to the graduated compression garments I wear, and when I couldn’t find answers anywhere, I turned to science and broke it down. 

A couple years ago I wrote a blog post about it. Did you know walking in only 3 feet of water is equal to about 67 mmHg (as an example, I wear 30-40 mmHg grade compression).

The pool is the only place I can be without compression, and get a great workout!

The only downside is that gravity wake-up call when you climb out of the pool, which makes already heavy legs feel even heavier. And don’t forget to take extra good care of your skin after.

No comments:

Post a Comment